Tuesday, July 13, 2010

From Front Desk to Frontline

Welcome to the first "regular" post!

As I alluded in the last entry, I attempted to use my old blogspot account and spent an hour writing a long update covering what I did in late April and May. I would say 3/4 of it was lost because apparently you get logged out of blogspot if you switch accounts on Google Calendar. And so I abandoned it and created this. The name "Azure Legends" definitely came out of sheer impatience as I didn't want to spend an hour thinking of something better. Plus it was convenient that it was available for use. If meaning must be assigned...then azure = blue = Social Sciences Society colour = new path in life.

So, I think instead of rewriting everything that was lost, I'll just bring them up later. It's very likely that I'll do nothing worth writing about one day (or more...), so I'll have stuff to turn to for more topic/theme-like entries.

Today was my my first day of training for the Front Desk at MUSC Admin. I am officially scared. I thought it wouldn't be too bad since I kind of knew some of the policies through just hearing about them and having to know some of them anyways because of Setup or MSSS, but there's quite a bit to know. I spent the past two hours or so reading through the manual and policies, and I still don't feel like I know any of it. Also, maybe I should stop trying to put myself into situations that contradicts my personality (ie. customer service). Is it really possible for me to change? I'm going camping next weekend too, for being a Soc Sci Rep; another thing that I didn't think I would be doing a few months ago. Tomorrow is day two of training, so hopefully I'll feel less like myself because that's really the goal here. OR maybe my true self is being masked right now and these attempts represent who I'm supposed to be...

Funny enough the theme of identity came up in my Frontline meeting after work today. This little paper sure is going through lots of changes, but most of them are necessary. Our theme before was "Fresh Starts" but apparently it was overly broad and the writers took it to mean write about first-year experience, which we specifically said not to write about. So, now it's going to be "Identity" which is still broad but hopefully less cliche articles will come out of it. I shouldn't have troubles writing an article under this theme since I more or less just wrote the beginning of it in the last paragraph. But I don't like writing about myself and then having it read by others...I was thinking about incorporating the question of why people need to take on other identities in life (online, video games, etc) but more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment