Thursday, July 29, 2010

35. Camp out in the middle of a forest


This past weekend, July 23-25, was Soc Sci Rep Camping. It was also my first time camping ever, and I get to cross it off my bucket list (#35). It's not exactly what I pictured in my mind when I wrote down "in the middle of a forest", but the campsite had trees circling the perimeter, and the paths lead into foresty area. It's close enough that it counts, and this rule will be applied whenever necessary.

So, I packed things that I needed on Friday, went out to Wal-Mart to buy snacks and then went to the Beer Store, which incidentally was also my first time doing so. My journey to Brant Park was easy, but then I couldn't find the campsite. The girl who worked at the front gate gave me directions and showed me on a map. It was helpful in the sense that I made it there, but she had me taking this extremely narrow path through the forest, whereas everyone else took a much closer route on a dirt road. It was an interesting drive through the forest as my car got scratched up a little.

My Friday night consisted of playing drinking games, including this one with dice called Three-Man. Essentially, you don't want to be "Three-Man" because every time a three is rolled, you have to drink. Unfortunately, I got ultra-anti-social like I usually do with alcohol at one point during the night, and I ended up sitting by myself for a bit. It passed though, so it wasn't too bad. Somehow I ended up with my own single-person tent because Alex wanted to sleep in my car for some reason. He explained it to me, and it had something to do with the fact that he had oral surgery, but I still don't really know why.

All of Saturday, Rohan tried to get me to funnel. I refused each time. Besides that, the day consisted of rep bonding activities, including cheering and this awesome game called Laser Eyes (sp?). What happens is everyone gets a partner and sits in a circle with one person in front of the other. There's one person that doesn't have a partner in the group, and that person will call out someone's name. The person who gets called has to try and get to the caller and give him/her a high-five, while the person sitting behind the person has to try and stop that from happening by any means (except for grabbing the neck and stuff, cause...safety).

I got my hands on a water gun at one point, and you can imagine what I did with it. Random attacks on people is fun. I didn't have a anti-social period this night either, but instead I couldn't stay in one spot for some reason. I kept moving from place to place.

So, all in all, camping was fun. I met some cool people, and I'm sure I'll meet more later on. I also learned how to split apples in half from Jen. The entire weekend felt like a blur even though I remember everything. I'm glad I decided to go.

Apparently, my rep name is going to be "Squirt" because of the water gun thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment